Thursday, October 30, 2008

On the road again: World Fantasy Con, day 1

The con actually starts tomorrow, but as is my wont I arrived a day early. Travel ate most of my day, though the pilot on the flight from DFW managed to get us in a whole half hour early and thus reclaim a tiny bit of that time.

Today marked my first flight out of the new terminal at RDU. Though the space is lovely and makes RDU look like a modern airport in a real city, the American Airlines folks were clearly not accustomed to working in it and with their new gear. Checking in and dropping off my bag, a process that typically took only a few minutes in the previous space, consumed twenty or so today. They were shorthanded, the luggage tag printers weren't working, some staffers had trouble reading the new computer font--we saw one problem after another. I hope they work out the kinks sooner than later.

I worked a lot on the planes today, but I'm still behind at work. My beard continues to grow untamed and will do so until at least one day after I'm home, and probably for longer. I'm very nearly done with the first draft of Overthrowing Heaven, but nearly is not done. Five of the nine major work tasks remain, and my budget box is still not empty.

All I can do is keep trying.

Dinner was from room service, and as such meals go it was fine, even better than most.

I haven't been in Calgary since 1986. I hope to get to see a bit of the city, but I'm sure that between the con, work, and writing I won't get out much. That's okay, though, because the con features plenty of interesting panels, many friends and acquaintances, one of the best SF/F art shows around, and a dealer's room full of books. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive