Thursday, August 28, 2008

Ouch

The reading/signing tonight drew ten people, six of whom I knew. I was immensely grateful for the four I did not recognize (though I fear one of them may have worked in the store). So, on the attendance level, the event was a failure for the bookstore, and it was in many ways the exercise in humiliation I had feared.

I feel particularly bad about letting down the store, but I really couldn't do more. Some folks pointed to the weather--storms, with tornado warnings--as the reason for the small group, but let's face it: a bigger name writer would have drawn more folks.

The actual reading and talking part, though, was fun, at least for me. Like most writers, I find it all too easy to talk about my work. Get me going, and I can probably bore you into a coma.

I also delivered on the "do something different" notice: For the first time ever at a reading, I read part of a novel in progress--one single-spaced page from Overthrowing Heaven. I also read a personal essay, "The Roach God," a true story that appeard in 1988 in Orson Scott Card's Short Form. I went for humor, because outside the night was humorless.

We also went for ice cream afterward, and it was yummy cold goodness.

2 comments:

Lisa Shearin said...

Hi Mark,

I really wanted to be there last night and had planned for it. Unfortunately, I had one of those "life gets in the way" evenings and couldn't make it. Sorry.

Lisa

Mark said...

No worries, and thanks for the support. See you soon.

MVN

Labels

Blog Archive