Sunday, August 17, 2008

On the road again: Travel day

So far, so good. I slept precious little, but that was my own damn fault. Airport security was a breeze, my upgrades came through, the bandwidth at the Admiral's Club was reliable, and I boarded only ten minutes late.

Best lines of the day so far:

A man at RDU, sitting next to me while we both put on our shoes: "This is reason enough to kick Bin Laden's ass. If he and I ever meet, we're gonna have a problem."

A young boy leaving the plane at DFW: "Mommy, does this airport have escalators? They're the best!"

Hard to argue with either person. I made a point of enjoying my long escalator rides more in the boy's honor.

I'm now working in the Admiral's Club at DFW. I have a Diet Coke, a cup of cold water, a power plug next to my chair, no one is talking to me, and the area is fairly quiet.

All in all, it's about as good as a travel day can be, at least so far.

4 comments:

Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

"This is reason enough to kick Bin Laden's ass. If he and I ever meet, we're gonna have a problem."

I suffer from PTSD, lost two teeth on 9/11, and now have breathing problems, and, oh yes, lost my job and even almost got killed when the South Tower started to come down...and this guy is whining about his shoes?

Hoookay....

Mark said...

Damn, Fred. I had no clue. That sounds like a hell of a story. I'll hope to meet you at a con sometime and hear it.

Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

Easy peasy. Come over to my blog, select the category "War and Military" and look for a posting named "Going Downtown".

As for a con, yep, got to start going to those things! Especially any con with a large Baen contingent!

Mark said...

I read the post, Fred. Damn. Man, I'm sorry. Words are inadequate.

You're still here, and you're still fighting. That's a victory of its own.

If we meet at a con, I'm buying the first round.

Labels

Blog Archive