Saturday, August 23, 2008

Death Race: Exactly what it should be

We went to see Death Race tonight, and I have to say that I think the Washington Post review missed the point: It's supposed to be a bad movie. The goal of the film is to shove every bit of sensibility aside and simply smash you with testosterone-fueled violence and stupidity. It does a good job of that, and you leave knowing that stuff definitely blew up in an entertaining way.

In unrelated news, if you don't normally read the comments on my blogs, I have to urge you to check out Kyle's remarks on yesterday's quotes. Kyle really should start writing commercials (at least for products for psychopaths).

Finally, and I'll probably plug this once more between now and the event, next Wednesday, August 27, 2008, I'm doing a reading and signing at 7:30 p.m. at Quail Ridge Books & Music. Come on down, and maybe we'll go out for ice cream afterward!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can anyone not love a movie that contains the lines "There goes one angry homo" and "All right, cocksucker, fuck with me and we'll see who shits on the sidewalk"?

What does that last quote even mean? Who knows!? Who cares!?

Really, the only strike against Death Race is its infinite ratio of onscreen male to female nudity. Bad form, Death Race! But it is, in every other respect, a better grindhouse movie than either of the two movies that made up Grindhouse.

Mark said...

I could not agree more. One can only hope there's an extended director's cut awaiting us--which with a Paul W.S. Anderson movie is a pretty good bet.

Anonymous said...

Death Race made me so excessively happy. It was the perfect movie to end the second day of school.

Labels

Blog Archive