Sunday, August 10, 2008

On the road again: Denvention, day 5 - con stuff and cover art

My con work began today with a panel on the business side of writing. The audience was small but very interested and very attentive, and overall I thought it went reasonably well. My particular focus was on basics, such as setting aside half of all your earnings for taxes, a practice that could have saved a lot of writers I know a great deal of pain.

After a nice Cuban sandwich lunch and some work, I joined my second panel of the day, a discussion of future inventions. Though the multi-hundred-person audience stayed and seemed engaged, I felt we jumped the rails and descended into chaos. Still, if the audience is happy, I should be happy.

I then found a quiet, private place and chatted for about half an hour with Steve Hickman, who will be doing the cover art for Overthrowing Heaven, the Jon and Lobo book I'm writing now. I haven't finished the book yet, and I don't show unfinished work to anyone, so as we did with Slanted Jack last year at this time, Steve and I went through part of the new book by phone. Steve found the scene he wants to use for the cover; I think it's going to be a great one. It'll definitely surprise folks--but it will be true to the novel and, I think, sell books, the most important function of the cover. I can't wait to see it.

After more work, we headed to the Hugos. I enjoyed the ceremony, though I always fantasize about being a nominee one day and so often find it somewhat bittersweet. I was very sorry to see Barry Malzberg's fine work, Breakfast in the Ruins, not win. In my opinion, and with no intent to disrespect the other fine nominees, I think Breakfast deserved the award.

After some time at the Baen party, both fun and compulsory attendance for all Baen authors, I headed back to work, which I'm doing now. I'd be a lot happier if I was further along in this book, but I'll get there.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive