Sunday, March 9, 2008

What to do about "My Sister, My Self"?

I'm throwing this question into the ether on the chance that a voice shouts back with an answer that compels me to action. For those who don't know, "My Sister, My Self" is the first story in the Jon & Lobo universe. It is also the only story, at least so far, that does not include Lobo. In fact, it takes place about 135 years before the events of One Jump Ahead. The story first appeared in an anthology, Isaac Asimov's Tomorrow's Voices, which you can find online from used book sites such as Alibris. I've received a few requests for the story, and now I'm trying to decide what to do about them.

I've considered multiple options:

* I could try to sell it to a magazine in the hopes they'd reprint it. The odds are low, but one never knows.

* I could see if Baen would be willing to bundle it with some upcoming Jon & Lobo book.

* I could post it here as a freebie.

I haven't done the first because I doubt it would succeed. The second is tempting, as is the third, but neither option has really sold me.

If you have any thoughts on the topic, email me or post a comment.

Meanwhile, I'll get back to the final touches on the outline for Overthrowing Heaven. Close, I'm very close....

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Actually, the magazine idea doesn't sound too bad. Baen's Universe? Of course, I speak in this as a subscriber to it. :)

Mark said...

Perhaps I should check with Eric. I will ponder.

Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

I'll second the JBU approach. Alternatively, maybe it can be bundled in an upcoming J&L book as a bonus for those who buy an eARC or the Webscription edition?

Mark said...

Another vote for JBU. Perhaps I should check with Eric.

Maria said...

If you haven't found a home for it yet, how about www.anthologybuilder.com ?? There's still room for it in the anthology I'm building.

:>)

You can take it down later when you sell your whole book of short stories.

Yeah, yeah, I'll go find something more productive to do.

Mark said...

I have found an editor interested in buying it as a reprint; I just have to get around to re-establishing contact and sending it in. It took me a while because I had no online source for it; I wrote it on a typewriter.

Anonymous said...

I have only this week met up with Jon and Lobo. I love them madly. Publish "Sister" where you will but PUBLISH... I want every word I can get on this oh so gooooooood series.

Mark said...

Thanks for the kind words. I love hearing them! "My Sister, My Self" will appear in Jump Gate Twist in June or July, 2010. That book will be an omnibus of the first two Jon & Lobo novels, but it will also contain this story, original afterwords, an original introduction, and possibly a few more goodies, time permitting.

Anonymous said...

thanks that's super! will definately be on the look out

Mark said...

I hope you enjoy it. It is very different from the current Jon & Lobo tales, because at age sixteen Jon was a very different person indeed.

Labels

Blog Archive