Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I'm done with the outline! And some lovely news

Last night, I sent Dave the complete outline for Overthrowing Heaven. He was kind enough that despite its size (about 11.3K words) he turned it around today. His notes were, as they have been on the other two novels, spot on. He identified two significant points that would improve the book and that I could address relatively easily by putting in a couple of hours on the outline. I did, and now the outline is complete and much stronger for Dave's critique (and longer, now almost 12K words). Thanks, Dave!

I'm quite excited, because tomorrow I can start the book. I've been mentally trying out first lines for several weeks, and I think I have the one I want. It's odd, but I currently like it. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

On the good news front, I believe the following is safe to announce because the Balticon folks have not only told me, they've told my publisher. Balticon has for many years (since 1983) presented the Compton Crook Award to the best first science fiction, fantasy, or horror novel of the previous year written by a single author. (For more on the award, go here.) Today, they told me that One Jump Ahead is one of the five finalists for this year's award. I honestly don't expect to win, but in all honesty I also have to say I am excited at the mere prospect. I attended the Balticon at which they first presented the award, and I've long dreamed of winning it. So, win or lose, I'm quite pleased by the honor of making the short list. Thanks, BSFS!

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive