Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Those announcements I mentioned

Did you think I'd forgotten?

Neither of these is earth-shattering, but both will, I think, be fun for me and for other readers.

Announcement #1: I've signed the contracts for my first work in the urban fantasy area. I'm entering this realm cautiously: I'll be editing for Baen an original anthology, The Wild Side (think Lou Reed singing, "Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side"), of urban fantasy stories with a racy edge. This book is likely to push Baen's boundaries a bit, and it will definitely be new ground for me. I will be writing a story for the book, and my goal is to make that piece serve as the starting point for a novel. That said, the story will, of course, stand alone as a complete work.

Announcement #2: David Drake and I will be editing a reprint anthology, The Baen Big Book of Pulp SF Adventures. Every noun and adjective in that working title is important:

* Baen, not only because it's the publisher but also because of the emphasis on story values the company represents

* Big, because we're aiming for 150K to 200K words

* Pulp, because that's where we're going for source materials (though for those truly into old magazines I should note we may stretch the definition a bit and include tales from digests and bedsheets)

* SF, because we're sticking to that category

* Adventures, because that's the emphasis of this volume

If the book does well--unlikely, but we can hope--then other collections could always follow.

I don't have dates for either of these books yet, but we have about eleven months to finish them, give or take. I'm looking forward to them!

2 comments:

Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

Well I think Ringo's "Ghost", etc. may have already pushed the boundaries for Baen Books!

As for the "pulp" anthology, huzzah! Looking forward to it! I hope it's as good as "World Turned Upside Down", which holds the spot as my favorite Baen anthology.

Mark said...

I agree that is a great anthology, and I know Dave will be pleased that you like it so much. If our collection is half as good, I'll be happy.

As for John's Ghost series, well, you are of course right. We will, I suspect, push at least somewhat boundaries.

Labels

Blog Archive