Thursday, March 27, 2008

On the road again: Austin, day 2

Work filled so much of today that I have no humorous stories to report, though I can say that the wind blew so fiercely that as we were walking up to one building it appeared that Jennie might topple backwards.

The fun highlights of the day both related to food: dinner at The County Line on the Lake, and some hours later, dessert from the Amy's Ice Creams store at the Arboretum.

Just driving up to the County Line on the Lake makes me happy, because it's a sprawling mess set right off the road in the midst of trees, with lights glowing all around it and Lake Austin behind it. The barbecue is top-drawer, with the brisket and the beef ribs special favorites of mine. The portions are huge--I've never even come close to making a dent in the sides--and the drink glasses must hold at least 32 ounces each. The food is waiting for you on the cooker, so the service is quick. Meaty goodness.

Amy's is one of those ice cream places that also makes me happy. Interesting music is always playing, and it's never top 40. The staffers treat you like a person and are usually characters. Our server tonight tossed the ice cream and the scoops and caught them flawlessly as he worked. Weird art covers the walls. They sell "Keep Austin Weird" (my favorite city slogan ever) t-shirts. And so on.

Oh, yeah: their ice cream is great.

I'm fat, and I'm still not healthy, but tonight I reveled in tasty food that is bad for me.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive