Wednesday, March 26, 2008

On the road again: Austin, day 1

By my previous numbering system, this entry should be day 2, because we arrived in Austin last night, but there you have it: inconsistency running amuck.

We're here on company business, so I'll stay away from the work day because, well, it's company business.

I suppose I should have volunteered to sign books at a few bookstores while I was in town, because writers are supposed to do that sort of thing, but I never got around to it. Perhaps my next assistant--yes, I'm looking again--will make that sort of thing happen. That would be lovely.

Dinner last night was late and thus at a nearby Kerbey Lane, a 24-hour Austin institution that I very much like. The food is diner-style but better than you would expect and always tasty, the staff members are funky and friendly, cool art from local artists adorns the walls, and it's generally the sort of place I could hang out happily for hours and hours. If you're ever in Austin, check it out.

As is my practice on multi-day trips when I have a car, I stopped by a grocery store to pick up a few bottles of water, some soda, and a snack (a bag of salad) should the late-night munchies hit. I went through the express line. We had the best line ever. The woman in front of me had a bottle of water, two pieces of chocolate cake, six Zabar candy bars, and some gum. I'm thinking drowning sorrows in chocolate, though I could be wrong. The woman behind me had a whole roasted chicken and three deli-cut cheese selections, each precisely a quarter pound. I could never decide how or if she planned to combine the cheese and the chicken. I contributed to the cause with a two-liter bottle of Diet Coke with Lime (you can't even buy it in our area in that size), a bag of salad, and three different bottles of water: Evian, Tynant, and Fiji. The cashier stared at me as if I had wandered from the home for the terminally indecisive, because clearly one brand of water should be enough for any man. I decided to further the feeling by staring back at her, then looking down, shuffling my feet, and saying, "They all looked so good that I couldn't decide." I have no excuse for doing that; I just did.

Dinner tonight was late, though not as late as last night, and quite expensive: the tasting menu at the Driskill Hotel Grill. I'd thoroughly enjoyed the same experience a few years ago, so I sat down expecting great service and a great meal. Instead, we received a little better than average but definitely flawed service and a meal that never quite hit the right notes. Don't get me wrong: the food was tasty, and I enjoyed the dishes. They simply didn't reach as high as the price or my previous meal suggested they should.

I continue to plug ahead on Overthrowing Heaven. The words pile up slowly, because my work schedule and life have been so intense lately, but they do pile up.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Murphy: Help you two?
Elwood: Do you have any white bread ma'am?
Mrs. Murphy: Yeah.
Elwood: I'll have some toasted white bread please.
Mrs. Murphy: You want butter or jam on that, honey?
Elwood: No ma'am, dry.
Jake: Do you have any fried chicken ma'am?
Mrs. Murphy: Best damned chicken in the state.
Jake: Bring me four fried chickens and a Coke.
Mrs. Murphy: You want chicken wings or chicken legs?
Jake: Four fried chickens and a Coke.
Elwood: And some dry white toast please.
Mrs. Murphy: Ya'all want anything to drink with that?
Elwood: No ma'am.
Jake: A Coke.

Mark said...

A classic, though not something I consciously had in mind.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Avery tells a story of the Wawa in New Haven, a guy coming in and buying a twelve-pound bag of potatoes, then leaving.

Good to hear you're representing the gene of freakishness well in Austin.

:]

P.S. Anyone reading this should go to youtube and listen to "It's About Time" by Barcelona.

Mark said...

The gene of freakishness is indeed strong in me.

Dr. Avery rules.

The Web Weasel and I agree on the recommendation: we really like the song, we like the parts of the video with the band playing, and we think the couple in the video are basically dorky. I should have added Barcelona's CD to my birthday list.

Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

Hey, I type 75 WPM (in reference to that whole assistant thing). Too bad I live in New Jersey. Hmmm...Tobias Buckell is looking for an assistant as well. Maybe I should go into business as a assistant who works for writers via telepresence. How scientifiction would that be!

Mark said...

True, but I am looking locally. Sorry, but I really need someone who's here.

Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

Oh, don't mind me. I'm just irritated that I don't have cool SF authors for neighbors!

;)

Labels

Blog Archive