Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Arisia report, day 5

Up late after a reasonable sleep, work, and then to the gym. Split the time between the recumbent exercise bike and the treadmill, which was a nice variation. Had to remind myself yet again not to sing along with the rock music from my iPod, because with my Etymotic in-ear buds filling my head with sound, I can't hear how loud I get. My singing voice sucks, so I do no one a favor by accompanying the songs.

A quick shower and off I went to my third panel, this one on the Singularity. Like my other two panels, this one was SRO. Unfortunately, also like them today's discussion turned into a free-for-all a bit too quickly for my taste, with the audience taking way more time than the panelists. Still, it was an interesting, if overly rambling conversation, and I generally enjoyed it.

After the panel, as is my wont I fell into a familiar pattern: lunch at Trident, back to the room to work...and work...and work.

Dinner was extraordinary: the incredibly expensive but lovely Chef's Journey at L'Espalier, a grand Boston French restaurant. With the exception of the beef and pork bites on the three-meat plate, the many dishes didn't miss a beat. The beef and pork were surprisingly bland, probably overcooked--unlike the lamb, which was exquisitely flavorful. Aside from that one misstep and service that every now and then felt one server short of what the room demanded, this meal could stand proudly next to any dinner I've eaten at any French restaurant--and that includes Joel Robuchon at the Mansion and Restaurant Guy Savoy. Heady company, indeed.

After that, I--you guessed it--returned to work. I work entirely too much for my taste, but that's how it goes. Perhaps my new assistant, whom I will for the moment refer to only as A, will help me reclaim some of my life. I hope so.

Overthrowing Heaven calls to me, and to it I go.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive