Friday, January 4, 2008

The 2008 Award Self-Pimpage Post

I recently read John Scalzi's post with a very similar title to this one (scroll down on his blog to find it), and I thought a lot about it. Today, my mail brought the latest Progress Report from this year's Worldcon, Denvention 3. That PR contained the nominating ballots for the Hugo awards, the main fan-controlled SF fiction awards.

After considering all this, I've decided to follow Scalzi's lead and let folks know what works of mine appeared this year and in what Hugo categories. I've had three:

Best Novel: One Jump Ahead
Best Short Story: "Broken Bits" in Future Weapons of War, and "The Ten Thousand Things" in Jim Baen's Universe.

To nominate for the Hugos, you have to be a member--attending or supporting, either will do--of the WorldCon by January 31 and submit your nomination on paper by March 1. Put differently, if you only want to vote, it costs $50 to buy a supporting membership.

I'm proud of my work and would be thrilled to be nominated in any category, but that's about as much campaigning as I can stand.

When I was growing up, seeing "Hugo Award Winner" on a book meant a lot to me. I think it still may, at least to many readers. I've since become quite sad and frustrated with how few folks actually nominate and vote for this award, but I still care about it. Sometime soon, I'll post my rant on that topic.

2 comments:

dirty dingus said...

Are you eligible for the Campbell too?

Mark said...

No, I'm not, though thanks for asking. I made my first professional story sale, "My Sister, My Self," in 1982. It was, oddly enough, the first story of Jon Moore, back when he was 16.

Labels

Blog Archive