Wednesday, December 5, 2007

An odd redo

Sunday night, I edited two more chapters of Slanted Jack. No news there. I didn't sleep well, however, and I awoke Monday morning with the conviction that I had not done something right during the editing. We're talking about the fifth pass over the complete ms., so at this stage I'm fine-tuning and messing up in a big way is extremely unlikely.

The feeling, however, wouldn't go away.

Finally, late last night, well after I wrote my blog entry, I stopped fighting my subconscious and redid the previous day's work--and a little more for good measure.

My subconscious was right. I hadn't done anything seriously wrong, but I had failed to get certain very subtle bits of language pacing the way I wanted them. I'm not sure anyone else would even notice, but I know the book is now better for this extra effort, and that's enough.

Note to self: Trust your subconscious in such matters.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive