Saturday, December 8, 2007

Changing already and The Golden Compass

I knew the title of the next book: Overthrowing Heaven. I knew the opening scene: no, I won't tell you, and you know I don't do that. I knew the type of story it was: again, I'm not telling.

And then on the first day of work on it, at the end of my writing session, it changed on me.

I haven't experienced this before. I was making notes, pondering a problem, and suddenly my gut told me that I had to change some key notions about the book.

So, I am. I think the novel is going to be even better than before, but now in many ways it's back to the drawing board for me.

On a completely unrelated front, tonight we went to see The Golden Compass. Though frequently pretty, it was even more frequently disjointed. Though sometimes moving, it was never as moving as I wanted.

I don't regret seeing it, but I wanted better, much better, from it.

My hope is that somewhere a three-hour director's cut is waiting to redeem it on DVD.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive