Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The Shins don't wow me, but Bourne was fun

I know that in Garden State a character told us this group would change our lives. I know that Wincing the Night Away is supposed to be hot. But, after listening to it and to Oh Inverted World, I just can't get excited about their music. It's nice enough, and the titles are clever, but I can pick up only snatches of lyrics, and the mellow sound of every song strikes me as repetitive.

The latest Bourne film, The Bourne Supremacy, by contrast did favorably impress me. It's far from perfect, with flaws such as Bourne's near invulnerability and intermittent limp, fight scenes that go on way too long, the always jumpy camera, and so on, but it's a lot of fun and an impressive velocity exercise that manages to mix in more than a dash of heart. Check it out if you haven't already.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive