Monday, August 6, 2007

Bouchercon

I'm going to miss Bouchercon this year, and that's a shame. I've no real room to complain, mind you; I'm traveling more than anyone should, and I'm getting to attend WorldCon in Japan and roam the country a bit.

What I miss about Bouchercon is that every attendee I've met reads, loves books, and actively wants to listen to authors. Every panel I've attended has drawn a big crowd. The dealer's room is almost entirely books, and people seem, at least to me, to be buying plenty of them. (I certainly purchase my share.)

Contrast this with most SF conventions, where many attendees are there only for the socializing or media, many can't remember the last SF book they've read, panels for all but the biggest authors frequently draw tiny numbers, and the dealer's rooms are usually more than half full of tables selling things other than books. To be fair, hardcore readers definitely attend SF cons, buy books, and so on. Also, some conventions, such as World Fantasy Con and ReaderCon, draw a more reading-oriented crowd.

All that said, the rank-and-file mystery fans read and love reading, and I wish the same were more true of the SF crowd.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive