Saturday, April 16, 2016

Cirque du Soleil cancelled a show I had tickets for--
And I'm glad they did


If you know me or have read this blog for a long time, you know I love Cirque du Soleil's shows.  I've been to all of the Las Vegas permanent shows (except the one about Michael Jackson; I won't support him).  I particularly love O and Love and Ka, but I've enjoyed all of them.  If my journeys take me to a city where a Cirque traveling show is playing, I go if I possibly can.  It's no surprise, then, that when Cirque announced last year a show, Toruk, would be playing in Raleigh, I bought tickets.  I had great seats.  I was very much looking forward to seeing the show on Sunday, June 26.

Yesterday, Cirque cancelled that show and all of its upcoming shows in North Carolina.

Normally, I'd be bummed, but right now, I'm not.  I'm glad the Cirque folks cancelled these shows, because the reason they did it is one I support:  they're protesting North Carolina's stupid, offensive, discriminatory HB2 law, which I wrote about recently.  (By the way, if you think the law is only about bathroom usage, you're missing the far greater bad practices it institutionalizes.  See for yourself:  you can read the whole bill here.)  Bruce Springsteen also cancelled a show in NC.  PayPal decided not to set up a center NC.  More and more people and businesses are boycotting NC because of this law.

I have to stand with those people and organizations.  We should not accept this awful law; we should protest it.

And, come election time, we should vote out of office every single NC legislator who voted for the bill, as well as our governor, who signed it.

Not getting to see a show is a small price to pay for supporting the rights of others.



1 comment:

Rosanne said...

Wonderful post. Yes, the law is about much more than bathrooms. I am one who will be voting to hopefully vote out of office those who supported this bill.

Labels

Blog Archive