Thursday, October 17, 2013

On the road again: Austin, day 5
CONtraflow, New Orleans, day 0


I'm tired of waking up in the sixes, but that's just what I had to do again today.  After a quick shower and email check, I headed for the airport. 

Travel to New Orleans from Austin via DFW went about as smoothly as it could given that I didn't get any upgrades and ended up missing Red Mango in Dallas.  I stayed fairly current on work, the flights ran more or less on time, and I had an exit row seat each leg; hard to complain.

New Orleans and the surrounding area have a culture all their own.  Part of that culture is partying.  From drive-through daiquiri stores to odd grocery-store offerings such as this

Click on an image to see a larger version. 

the evidence was everywhere.  You have to like the value this gadget delivers:  It'll check your alcohol level and also help you search for the keys you dropped as you fumbled to start the car.

Dinner tonight was a low-key gathering at a small local place for the convention committee (concom), other volunteers, and guests.


Yes, Come Back Inn really is the name of the restaurant.  I shared a sausage po boy and a muffuletta, and both sandwiches were great. Check out the half a muffuletta that remained after two of us ate a quarter muff each. 


That was a tasty, tasty sandwich.

The sign out front might cause you to wonder about this place, but I'd eat there again anytime. 

At dinner I had the opportunity to chat with many folks, all of whom were interesting and fun. I had the pleasure of meeting Deb, who comments here frequently, and her husband, Jude, and I chatted for a while with them both.  It's always nice to meet folks who've been commenting on the blog. 

Tomorrow, the convention begins in earnest, and I do my best to earn my keep as Toastmaster!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Muffaletta is my favorite NO sandwich, but shrimp po'boy is a close second. I used to have more family in NO, but several moved to Baton Rouge or nearer to where I grew up, Lafayette,after Katrina. wasn't sure how my name would show up in comments so have been using "anonymous". I have an account that's supposed to label my comments as from "scifilady1", but I can't remember which account!

Mark said...

I do love the muffaletta.

Anonymous said...

It is definitely a delicious sandwich. I'm sure you will have some great food while in New Orleans.

Deb said...

It was good to meet you and let you put a face to the name. I'm glad you liked the place. It's on our 'okay' list of places...but we are incredibly spoiled in this city and 'burbs. =)

Mark said...

It wasn't the best food I've ever had, but I quite enjoyed it. It was great getting to meet you and Jude.

Labels

Blog Archive