Wednesday, October 31, 2012

On the road again: World Fantasy Con, Toronto, day 1

Hurricane Sandy's closing of LaGuardia airport led to a series of travel adventures that ended up starting my day at 5:45 a.m. and getting me to my destination about 7:00 p.m.

The flights for which I'd purchased tickets were no longer available, so a new set was to take me through O'Hare. When I arrived at the airport at 6:25 a.m., however, I learned that the flight to Chicago was delayed so long that I would miss my connection.  The only alternative American could offer me was to go through DFW, so I waited an extra 45 minutes in RDU and several hours in DFW. I had neither an upgrade nor an exit-row seat on the way to DFW, so I didn't have the space to work.  I used the flight to fitfully doze and twitch in my seat; I do not sleep well on planes.  The flight to Toronto was vastly better, because I got an upgrade and bought bandwidth and worked the whole time.

Now, though, I am happy to report that I am at the con hotel.

Calling the convention a "Toronto" World Fantasy Con is more than a little misleading. Yes, Toronto is the nearest big city, but the cab ride here took over 45 minutes from the airport, and going downtown for a meal is too great a time commitment to be manageable.  That's a shame, because Toronto has a great and rapidly growing food scene.

Still, I made it, and now I finally get to sleep; last night's 110 minutes of sleep were simply not enough. 

Tomorrow, the con starts in earnest!


No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive