Thursday, January 19, 2012

On the road again: Chattacon, day 1

The morning went to sleep and work, and the afternoon to driving. Along the way, we saw a sign for a Cracker Barrel. I've never eaten in or even stopped at a Cracker Barrel before, and today seemed perfect for it, so with a little bit of trepidation we took the exit and pulled into its lot.

Our trepidation was unwarranted. True, the goods on offer at the small attached store were a bit odd, but the food was entirely standard and reasonably tasty. It was also cheap. Here's what $7.99 can buy you there:


(As always, click on any image to see a larger version.)

I didn't even come close to finishing all that food.

We spent a short time in the store, but it wasn't short enough: I fell victim to the allure of gloves whose fingers light up in various patterns. I know, I know, but they seem so cool. I'm sure I'll find a use for them.

When we walked out, this beautiful old Hudson Rocket was parked right up front.


That logo alone is awesome.

When we reached the con hotel, the famous Chattanooga Choo-Choo, the redoubtable Regina Kirby, the con's guest liaison and also Dragon*Con's programming chair, met me and showed me my room. Waiting for me in it were these lovely treats.


In the cooler were some already chilled Coke Zero cans and bottles of water.

These folks know how to treat their guests!

For dinner we tried a local place, Table 2 Restaurant, that had scored a lot of very positive online reviews. The food was quite good, though on several dishes the chef put in too much of key acidic ingredients. One starter that was perfect was the hot rock surf and turf, which came with six pieces of fish, ten small bites of American Wagyu beef, some salt, and three dipping sauces. You cook the fish and meat on the stone. Here's ours partway through the process.


I'd happily go back, and I definitely recommend it if you live in the area or are at this con and in search of a strong dinner.

The rest of the evening will go to work and writing, to which I now return.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

There is nothing better than a good ole Southern breakfast. I hope it tasted as good as it looked.

Mark said...

It was indeed quite tasty.

vampi said...

no pictures of the light up gloves? your adoring public respectfully request a picture of gloves in action :)

I am so curious, they sound like something i would never take off. sadly there are no barrels in cali

Mark said...

Perhaps I shall break out the gloves and take some photos tonight.

Labels

Blog Archive