Friday, October 28, 2011

On the road again: a long trip, day 3
World Fantasy Con, San Diego, day 3

Today, probably aided by the antibiotics, my body went to war against the sinus infection that has robbed me of most of my voice. The good news is that I'll benefit from this battle in the end. The bad news is that today was pretty hellish.

I slept and worked until as late a lunch as I could manage. When sick and headed for a panel, you stick to health food, of course, so I had two hot dogs and some Coke Zero.

Thus fortified, I moderated my panel on the role of the misfit in fantasy. Thank goodness Jennie had persuaded the con Operations team to bring in a mic, because without it no one in the audience would have been able to hear any of us. The panel went reasonably well, the roughly 75 folks in attendance seemed to enjoy it, and I was generally pleased.

The one downside was that partway through the panel my forehead broke into a sweat as a fever overtook me.

After watching the next panel, I checked out some of the art show and then rested in the room for a while before dinner. Aspirin helped the fever, but my body is clearly not a happy thing right now.

In the evening, I went to a Baen dinner and then the WFC group signing, in which each writer sits in front of a folded sheet of paper with her/his name on it and hopes desperately that someone will bring by books for autographing. I'd had a pretty decent crowd the other night at The Mysterious Galaxy, so I wasn't expecting many folks tonight--and my expectations were correct. At least a few folks came by, which is better than some past years.

I'm fighting the fever again, so it's off to more rests. I sincerely hope for a better health day tomorrow.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive