Sunday, October 23, 2011

Drive

Critics love it. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 93% fresh as I write this. The 79% audience rating is worse but still respectable.

The movie certainly looks the arthouse part. The shots almost scream, "Look at me: I'm art!" Though it tries too hard to be cool, I still liked its look.

Ryan Gosling showed that it's possible to go an entire film employing fewer facial expressions than Steven Seagal or Jason Statham. He had two expressions: blank, and blank with a creepy smile. In one flashback, he actually yells and shows emotion, a moment so jarring with authenticity that you can't help but wonder if it was an accident.

Almost all the actors were so muted that you had to believe that the dead emotions were the director's intent.

The film makes sure you know that it has things to say about life. I get the meanings. I really do. I appreciate the value of bringing cool style to action flicks. I see the film's appeal.

Which brings us to the problem.

I didn't care at all.

Not once, not for one second, did I give a shit about any of these characters.

Go see this one for its look, but don't expect to walk out touched or moved.

Drive is all art and no heart.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive