Thursday, May 19, 2011

On the road again: Portland, day 4

My big daytime treat today was a stop at a grocery store to pick up and consume a delicious Ruby Jewel ice cream sandwich. At one level, I'm sad that these amazing combinations of cookies and ice creams aren't available in my area. At another, though, I'm glad, because I fear I would all too often give in to their temptation.

Dinner took us to Andina, which is the first Peruvian restaurant I've visited. I've heard many good things about it, so I was quite curious to see if the food lived up to the praise.

It did. We sampled several small plates and one entree; all were very good. The dishes mixed traditional Peruvian recipes with local ingredients and modern techniques. One striking example was a traditional pot-pie deconstructed so that the meat, egg, greens, and pastry were all separate items on the plate, with pork cheeks rather than the original "whatever was on hand" as the meat. It was lovely. I will definitely go back there, and I recommend it.

Tomorrow morning, I have to get up well before the crack of dawn to head to the airport and begin the long trek home. Here's hoping for uneventful flights!

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive