Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Come see me at Balticon this weekend!

Yes, tomorrow morning all too early for my taste, we head to Balticon. The early departure is necessary to try to avoid the rush-hour traffic around D.C. and then the second round of heavy traffic around Baltimore. I rarely make it out the door as early as I'd like, because it always seems that on the evening before I am doing what I'm doing now: working insanely late. Ah, well.

I'll be rather busy at this con, so if you'd like to catch up, come by one of these events and say hi. Here's what the con folks have me doing:

Saturday, noon: Baen traveling slide show

Free books! A slide show of current and upcoming books, usually with both the original art and the final cover--a rare chance to see how book covers evolve. Free marketing swag! The occasional announcement of a new book. Free books!

Did I mention we'll be giving away a lot of free goodies?

Saturday, 2:00 p.m.: Liar's Panel

This one is for Balticon's reading charity. My fellow panelists and I will answer some prepared outrageous questions. We have to tell the truth--except a few times, when we get to lie. None of us will know when the other is lying. After each question, anyone can challenge an answer--by holding a buck in the air. When all the challengers have their hands up, the panelist must reveal whether the answer was true or a lie. If it was true, the charity gets all those dollar bills from the challengers. If it was false, the panelist has to kick ten bucks to the charity.

In past years, we've heard some amazing tales and laughed so hard we hurt. Come join us again for more fun this year.

Saturday, 7:00 p.m.: Reading

No, I won't tell you what I'll read, but I will say this: it's likely to be something I have never read aloud at a con. Show up to find out just what I'm considering.

Sunday, 1:00 p.m.: Mister Poor Choices comedy show

Usually, you have to buy a ticket to a comedy club to see a stand-up show, but at Balticon you get one for free. Of course, we'll try to convince you to buy a tour shirt on the way out the door--because I'm donating all the profits from my sales of the shirts to Balticon's reading charity.

You'll laugh, you'll learn many choices not to make, and you'll shake your head in stunned wonder at some of the ones I have made. Don't miss it.

Sunday, 2:00 p.m.: Good and Evil in Genre Literature

We'll get down with our moral selves and explore just how our fiction deals with some of the great complexities we humans face.

Or maybe we'll just blow it off and tell fart jokes.

You'll have to show up to find out which way we go.

Sunday, 4:00 p.m.: Improv Comedy Jam

Just what the title says: You pitch ideas, and we turn them into comedy--or look stupid trying. Expect to laugh and probably to groan a bit, too.

Monday, 11:00 a.m.: The Use and Misuse of Violence in SF & Fantasy

I've spoken on this topic before, and the panels always ended up being interesting and thought-provoking discussions. I'm sure this one will follow a similar course. Check it out.


I hope to see many of you at the con!

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive