Thursday, August 26, 2010

Back to college she goes

Move-in day was in most ways simpler and less emotionally wrenching this year than last, because we all now understand how it works. The move itself went as smoothly as possible given the usual hassles of a crowded environment, and Sarah has a great room in an absolutely beautiful dorm.

The hardest part, of course, is seeing her go. I wrote last year about it leaving a hole in my heart, and it did so again this year. I believe that is all as it should be: she should leave, she should have a great time at college, she should be moving on with her life, and I should miss her terribly. As Sarah and Scott move on, I expect to always miss them both tremendously.

When the kids were young, I felt it was my job to take care of them and to lead them and protect them when the world turned dark. I was to be their light in the dark. I still feel that way, but more and more I also realize that they have from the first moments of their existence lit up the night for me.

May we always be lights for one another.

This Josh Ritter tune isn't about parents and children, but Sarah got me interested in Ritter, and we both love this song, so I thought I'd share it with you. Enjoy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter goes back today. Hard to believe that she is starting her junior year in college. My son starts his junior year in high school next week and he is as big as I am. Weren't they all just born yesterday? In my mind yes but in real life no. Their growing up no matter what we want. Pity how life creeps up on us. Or is the pity I refer to for myself? All the best....Chris....

Mark said...

It's all appropriate and as it should be, but it is so very hard.

Anonymous said...

So true, so true, Thanks. Have a good book signing this weekend. Wish I was closer. Hopefully your'll post some pics....By the way, nice music by Josh Ritter, will have to find that CD........Chris.....

Mark said...

Thanks for the kind wishes. If we get pictures, I will post some.

Kyle said...

Don't worry, she's a liberal arts major. She'll be moving back home after college.

Mark said...

Ah, Kyle. As always, the optimist.

Labels

Blog Archive