Friday, March 5, 2010

Happy-making io9 article

Okay, I admit it: I'm easy. Like so many writers, it takes very little to give my fragile writing ego a moment of happiness. So, as you might imagine, I was quite pleased to see the redoubtable Charlie Jane Anders pick my books as great candidates for movies in this very entertaining io9 article.

By the way, if you like SF and you don't read io9, you're making a big mistake. Start with this article, then explore the site; it's chock full of goodies. Charlie Jane Anders and Annalee Newitz and the rest of the io9 team are also some of the hardest working writers out there; the sheer amount of copy--good stuff, mind you--that they generate is amazing.

I should also note that I agree with Anders on all the films she's listed and more. I understand the temptation of remakes, but few remakes better the originals. So many good stories are available that it would be great to see those new tales, instead of a crop of remakes, on the big screen.

2 comments:

Michael said...

I was so excited to read that on i09 the other day. I'd love to see it come to pass. I know you've said you would like to see your books as movies, but have you, or your publisher, ever tried to take some active steps in that direction?

Mark said...

I would also love it. My agent has shown the books to my Hollywood agent, but really, movie folks have to initiate the contact.

The best thing we could do to interest Hollywood would be to make the books into bestsellers--and if we could do that, trust me, we would [g].

Thanks for the kind words.

Labels

Blog Archive