Sunday, January 3, 2010

Our UFC 108 picks: Not too shabby

We both picked a majority of the winners in last night's show, but I was lucky enough to come away with the W in our competition: I got only two wrong, while Kyle missed four.

From the bottom to the top again, here's how we fared.

Rafaello Oliveira vs. John Gunderson

This is the only fight on the card that we didn't get to see, so I have to rely on blog reporting for my comments. I said that Oliveira's size would help him push around Gunderson and get him the victory, and Oliveira did indeed score a unanimous 30-27 decision victory. Kyle went with Gunderson, so the first fight put me in the lead.

Mike Pyle vs. Jake Ellenberge

We both called Ellenberger, with Kyle figuring on a decision and me being completely unsure. Ellenberger won by TKO. Go, us!

Mark Munoz vs. Ryan Jensen

Thank goodness I didn't let Jensen's work ethic entice me to choose him. I figured Munoz for a submission, and Kyle had Munoz smothering Jensen. Munoz won in rather more dramatic fashion, pounding Jensen into a tap-out due to strikes in the first round.

Dan Lauzon vs. Cole Miller

I figured Miller to win in a slugfest. Kyle chose Lauzon. Miller won by submission in the first, so I notched another correct prediction--though not a correct call on the method of victory.

Martin Kampmann vs. Jacob Volkmann

We both figured Kampmann to win by some form of knockout, and win he did--though by submission. To be fair to us, the submission came after Kampmann had hit Volkmann a few times.

Thus, as the main card was about to begin, I was a perfect five-for-five, while Kyle had two errors.

Junior Dos Santos vs. Gilbert Yvel

The only surprising aspect of this fight was the reason for its existence; Yvel was over-matched before he entered the arena. Dos Santos TKO'd Yvel in the first, pretty much as we both called it.

Duane Ludwig vs. Jim Miller

Jim Miller dominated Duane Ludwig in a quick submission victory, and fortunately for us, we both chose Miller.

Joe Lauzon vs. Sam Stout

We both like Joe Lauzon, perhaps in part because he has a computer science degree. We both chose him to win by submission. For part of the first round, it looked like we had made a wise choice. Then, Stout settled in, and the rest of the fight was his. Stout won a unanimous decision. I think it should have been 29-28, with Lauzon taking the first round, but the judges called it 30-26, 30-27, and 30-27.

My first loss dashed my hope of a perfect set of calls. Kyle now had three errors.

Paul Daley vs. Dustin Hazelett

We both analyzed this fight the same basic way: Hazelett would take down Daley as necessary until he submitted the shorter striker.

Instead, Hazelett stood with Daley for about two minutes, and then Daley landed a left hook that sent Hazelett to the canvas. Daley hit him again, and it was over.

I was down two and Kyle down four going into the main event.

Rashad Evans vs. Thiago Silva

Evans finally dusted off his wrestling, and with it and a lot of movement he dominated and frustrated Silva for the first two rounds. In the third, Silva rocked Evans and looked like he might pull out the victory--and then chose to back away for a few breaths, time that Evans used to recover.

We called Evans, and the judges gave him the decision. With the exception of the third-round mistake, Evans looked the best I've ever seen him.

So, another UFC ends, and we both got a majority of the rights right. I was lucky enough to call eight of ten correctly. If I could do this for six months straight, I might have a new part-time job as an MMA better. Fortunately for my wallet, that won't happen.

Despite these particular results and as always, please never bet money based on our predictions.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive