Sunday, December 13, 2009

UFC 107: How we fared

Balance is restored, and the universe is moving correctly again as I won the battle of the fight pickers: Kyle had 4 of 11 wrong, while I missed only twice. Of course, this was one of the easier cards to call--but we've thought that before and been wrong.

Anyway, on to the details. As usual, we'll go from the bottom of the card to the top. First, the undercard.

Kevin Burns vs. T.J. Grant

We didn't get to see this fight, but from what I've read it was a doozy. Dana White clearly agreed, because he gave it the Knockout of the Night award. Unfortunately, though both of us chose Burns to win, that award went to Grant, who TKO'd Burns as the first round was ending and thus put both of us down 1.

DaMarques Johnson vs. Edgar Garcia

The UFC showed this fight after the main event, and for about half a minute I thought both of us were correct in our choice of Garcia. He knocked down Johnson and looked in control. Then, Johnson hit him with an up-kick and pulled him into a triangle choke for the Submission of the Night victory. Johnson looked better than I had ever seen him, and Kyle and I were down 2.

Rousimar Palhares vs. Lucio Linhares

I said that better BJJ skills would lead to a Palhares win, and I was right, but barely. The UFC didn't show this fight, but from the descriptions it was back and forth until the middle of the second, when Palhares won with a heel hook. I had my first victory.

Kyle chose Linhares and so was down three.

Johny Hendricks vs. Ricardo Funch

Another fight we didn't get to see, but at least this time we called it right: we both chose Hendricks, who won a unanimous decision.

Four fights in, and I'm up to an even 2-2. Kyle is 1-3.

Shane Nelson vs. Matt Wiman

Wiman indeed won the decision in a three-round battle that was the last fight we didn't get to watch. Chalk up another correct call for both of us.

Wilson Gouveia vs. Alan Belcher

This fight probably should have been on the main card, but at least we got to see it. Despite lasted only 3:02, it earned Fight of the Night honors, because these two just beat on each other. Belcher TKO'd Gouveia, and we were now rolling with three correct calls in a row.

On the main card, we continued to roll--with one speed bump for Kyle.

Paul Buentello vs. Stefan Struve

At a few points in this fight, I thought Buentello had it. In the first round, when Struve was on Buentello's back, I thought Struve would finish him. Instead, the fight went the distance, and it was close indeed. Fortunately for me, Struve carried the majority decision. I still had only two misses; Kyle was up to four.

Jon Fitch vs. Mike Pierce

Fitch is rapidly becoming one of those fighters who drive Dana White crazy by not finishing opponents but whom he really can't cut because they keep winning. Fitch won a three-round decision. Kyle and I were right, though Kyle called annihilation, and I called decision.

Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida

Another fight we both called. I said Florian by submission in the third, but he actually finished Guida in the second after causing Guida what I would have called the nastiest cut of the night--until later. Florian keeps looking better and better, and in my opinion he deserves a rematch with Penn.

Frank Mir vs. Cheick Kongo

Mir blew through Kongo. For the short time the fight lasted, Mir looked better in every way. He dropped Kongo with a step-under left hook, then sunk in a guillotine choke.

Mir is back.

Oh, yeah: We both called this one.

B.J. Penn vs. Diego Sanchez

B.J. Penn is amazing, and he proved it once again with a completely dominant victory over a game Diego Sanchez. In the fifth, he hit Sanchez with a high kick that split open Sanchez's head and caused one of the worst cuts I've ever seen in a fight. The ref and doctor correctly called the fight. Penn looked completely fresh (and so did Sanchez at the start of the fifth, despite being battered). We both called this one, and Kyle was right that Penn again showed himself to be a transcendent fighter. Though I'd like to see Florian get another chance at Penn, I have trouble believing the outcome won't be the same. Penn is the best lightweight fighter in the world.

(As always, and even though we did pretty well this time, do not make bets placed on our predictions.)

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive