Wednesday, August 26, 2009

On the road again: Austin, day 3

I realized late last night that the one thing I was doing wrong this trip was sleeping too much, so I fixed that flaw. Seven a.m. came mighty early. I am just not a morning person.

Thanks to Elizabeth's willingness to brave the morning traffic (and sacrifice some sleep), we were able to bring two dozen Round Rock donuts to an early meeting for a client and her team. These donuts are supposed to be very good, but as fate would have it, I ended up not getting one. It's all for the best, but I certainly would have enjoyed eating it.

The rest of the day was a blur of meetings and frantic email sessions as I struggled to keep up.

In one of those moves that I don't really understand, this hotel--a Marriott--has put a brochure in my room from which I can order Marriott stuff: towels, sheets, robes, a lamp, even an entire bed--all just like what I have in my room!

Who buys this stuff?

What's the thinking process? Wow, I sure wish my bedroom could look like this Marriott room. Maybe if I furnish it and my bathroom with cool Marriott stuff, I can get closer to my dream of living the Marriott lifestyle.

Not for me, not for me.

Dinner tonight was the tasting menu at Hudson's On the Bend, a very tasty combination of small plates heavy on local meats and vegetables. I quite enjoyed it, particularly the foie, which they served seared on top of a Poteet strawberry pound cake with a Cabernet reduction and just the right amount of red onion marmalade. (Yes, I was skeptical of the marmalade, too, but it worked.)

And now, as happens on these trips, I must work until late into the night, so to that work I go.

6 comments:

GIna said...

I know there is a far reach between the Inn at Little Washington and a Marriott, but you are the man who wanted and ordered the exact same towels that he used in a hotel-(she smiles).

Mark said...

You are indeed correct; I did that. The difference is the one you mentioned: the Inn at Little Washington vs. a Marriott. On the other hand, if this Marriott had the same amazing (to me) towels as the Inn, I might have ordered them. So, I did bow to the hotel lifestyle in one case; at least it was a good hotel!

Bernadette Bosky said...

Hi! Yes, before seeing you had even done so, I was going to say that I definitely know of people 1) finding the towels, bathrobe, etc. cush and wanting one, or 2) wanting a momento (not the Marriott so much, but a mug the cabins had in the rooms when all my family came to a dude ranch with me to celebrate my 50th b-day)--and being glad they didn't have to steal.

I enjoyed the food when Kevin and I were at the Popular Culture Association conference this past Spring in New Orleans--one of the most vegan-unfriendly cities in the nation, and I still ate well. Food is one fo the many interesting, nice tings about travel.

Mark said...

After much reflection about the hotel lifestyle, I guess I have to say that what really surprised me is probably that it was a Marriott offering the goods. But, this room might have been special to someone, and so I am probably being a bit snobbish. I stand corrected; thank you.

Becky said...

My mom totally bought a pillow from a hotel she stayed in while visiting NYC. Sadly the pillow was nowhere near as comfy as the one in the hotel...

Mark said...

That definitely sucks. At least my towels were the same as the ones at The Inn at Little Washington.

I can't believe I'm discussing towels....

Labels

Blog Archive