Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Here's another thing

about Children No More: I'm more than a little afraid of it. To be more accurate, more than anything else I've written, I have a vision of this story that is so strong, so powerful, so vivid that I know I will not be able to do it justice. I also know I have to try.

Maybe that's always the way it is. And, of course, no matter how I feel, I'm going to keep going forward until I finish the thing.

When I first saw Rent in New York City (with the original cast), I teared up at the song "One Song Glory." My reaction was not because glory is my main motivation; it's not. I'm writing because I have to write. What moved me about the song is that the singer just one time wants to get it right, really right, before he dies. Don't we all?

Here, try it on for yourself.



Me, I'm going back to this book and do the very best I can to rip out what's in my head and my heart, put it on the page, and send it out into the world.

2 comments:

Lisa Shearin said...

I've got a new book project forming in my head, and the thought of writing it does two things: excites the heck out of me and scares the crap out of me. In my opinion, THAT is a project worth doing.

So while Children No More will no doubt be a challenge to write, it'll probably be one of the most satisfying books you've ever written, because of your deep, personal connection to it.

Looking forward to seeing you next Tuesday at the book signing!

Take care,
Lisa

Mark said...

Thanks, Lisa. I look forward to seeing you, too.

Labels

Blog Archive