Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Chesley Award nominations are out

I'm a big fan of many science fiction illustrators and for that matter of illustators in general. I believe that much of the best visual art available today is coming from SF illustrators. I won't even try to list all the major artists, because there are so many great ones working right now that I'd probably slight several simply by failing to think of them right now.

One of the best ways to keep up with SF illustrations is via the Spectrum series of SF art books, the latest of which is Spectrum 15.

Another great source is the Chesley Awards, which ASFA, the Association of Science Fiction & Fantasy Artists, presents once each year at the Worldcon (this year in Montreal). The nominations for the Chesley's, which ASFA named after the late SF illustrator, Chesley Bonestell, are now on the ASFA site. If you're in the mood for good SF art, definitely check them out--but allow some time, because there are 11 categories and five or so nominees in each.

I'm particularly happy to report that a couple of pals of mine, Steve Hickman and John Picacio, are up for Best Hardcover Cover. John is, in fact, up for four different awards, as well as a Hugo for Best Artist; way to go, John! Another favorite artist of mine, Donato Giancola, is also on the ballot for the Hardcover and Unpublished Color Chesleys. Oh, yeah: Did I mention that Omar Rayyan, another great guy and great artist is up for the Unpublished Color?

I'll stop now, but you get the point: check out these award pages for examples of wonderful work--and support your local SF illustrators by buying their works at cons.

2 comments:

Michael said...

I've been wondering for a while now, and this brings up a good opportunity to ask, do you select the artists to make the covers for your books, or does the publisher make that decision?

I ask because I thought the cover for One Jump Ahead was GREAT. I knew nothing about the book, or your writing, but when I saw it on the shelf at the book store there was just something about it that said, "this is going to be one hell of a sci-fi adventure read." I was not disappointed!

However, I am not very fond of the cover for Slanted Jack, although I am still enjoying the read and am nearing the end. I do like the cover for Overthrowing Heaven though. I am dying to finish Slanted Jack and start reading this one.

Mark said...

The Art Director, who at Baen is also the Publisher, Toni, chooses the cover artist and gets to pick the cover art from that artist. In my case, all three covers have been by the same person, Steve Hickman, and I've gotten to talk to Steve about each cover before he painted it. I do not, however, have cover control, nor probably should I. I write the books; the Publisher sells them, and to me that's a fine division of labor.

Labels

Blog Archive