Saturday, May 30, 2009

Public vs. private life and an odd letter

Some people have asked me why I don't more often list the names of folks who go with me to events or provide more details when I discuss family topics. The answer is two simple statements:

1) I accept that by blogging I have decided to share part of my life publicly.

2) Those others have not made that choice.
I don't discuss information from others without their permission. I often blog late at night or in a break from work, times when reaching others can be difficult, so I also rarely have the time to get such permissions.

Having said all that, Sarah did give me the okay to let folks know that her high-school graduation--an event I expect to find quite emotional--is tomorrow, and she will be attending Duke University next. I mention this last bit not because of how extremely proud of her I am (though I am, of course, very proud of her and Scott), but because of the rather amazing letter I received today from Duke.

To be more accurate, the letter itself was not amazing; it was the expected long missive about the money I will soon owe them. What was amazing was the salutation on the front of the envelope above Sarah's name and our address:
To the payer of the tuition for
As far as I'm concerned, political correctness has gone too far when it leads institutions to have to write such impersonal addresses. I'm not a parent, I'm a payer of tuition!

Of course, it is an accurate designation, but really, Duke folks, couldn't you have found something either nicer or at least funnier? For example, I would vastly have preferred any of the following:
Yo, Moneypants!

It's tuition time; are you ready to rumble?

You should have thought of this before you let her apply!

Sure, our endowment would buy Africa, but now we want your money, too!

Sold that kidney yet?
or even
Stop whining and get out your checkbook. You're our bitch now.
Yes, indeed I am, and happy to be it. I cannot imagine a better investment than the education of my children.

I wonder if I'll get a "Duke's Bitch" t-shirt....

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive