Thursday, May 7, 2009

On the road again: Seattle, day 4

I would find it very hard to live here. I like rain, I really do. I love hearing it splatter onto the roof over my head. I love snuggling up in a warm bed on a chill, damp, gray day. I like standing out in storms and watching the lightning show.

I just don’t like it rain to be falling constantly.

I know this is a rainy season, and to be fair we’ve had multiple hours without rain, but it seems like every time I have to walk to my car or want to walk anywhere, it’s raining.

One positive result, of course, is a lush, green, vibrant countryside, with natural beauty almost everywhere you look. It really is lovely up here.

Dinner this evening was at a Seattle restaurant, Crush, that we located by tracking Beard nominees. Named for the mutual feeling Chef Jason Wilson and his now wife, then landlord, Nicole Wilson, had for each other, this lovely place occupies a restored 1902 house in a neighborhood that weaves residences and businesses in no immediately apparent pattern. We opted for the tasting menu, which is expensive but well worth the cost. The preparation was at least very good and usually excellent, the tastes wonderful, and the servers friendly and well-informed, if occasionally a bit slow. The only weak course was dessert, which was pleasant enough but simply not up to the standard the rest of the meal had set.

If you live in Seattle and want a lovely evening out—and don’t mind paying for this kind of meal—I heartily recommend Crush. I certainly hope to eat there again.

6 comments:

Kyle said...

If it makes you feel better, the weather back east has been about the same this week. It's been raining since Sunday, and is supposed to keep raining until next Sunday.

Mark said...

At least it wasn't raining when I got home.

Ticia said...

You're making me hungry.

Mark said...

That's a reasonable reaction. Crush's tasting menu was excellent.

Anonymous said...

I agree. The desserts at Crush are pretty sucky compared to the rest of the dining experience. The mignardise plate is pathetic at best. I hear they are going through some major staff changes, so it's good you got to experience it before the
s%$t hit the fan.

Mark said...

I have to hope it emerges more or less intact after the staff changes, because the dinner overall really was quite good.

Labels

Blog Archive