Friday, May 8, 2009

Airport travelers need to buy a clue

If one more person in an airport barrels into me while texting and focusing solely on his phone, I'm afraid I might indulge my inner demon and help accelerate his eventual face-first collision with the floor.

I mean, seriously folks, how hard is it to be a courteous and clueful walker in an airport?

Apparently, too damn hard for a great many people.

I think we need to help these inconsiderate wastes of space learn how to navigate by foot in a crowded area. Maybe printing and distributing rules will help. Here are three basic guidelines we could use to start:

We're in America. Walk on the right.
This one shouldn't be too tough to learn. These same folks already drive on the right side of the road. I'm willing to cut foreigners some slack; I made a fool of myself driving in Australia and New Zealand, so I appreciate their troubles. Americans, though, have no excuse.

No texting while walking. Period.
No, you're not that much cleverer than everyone else. When you text, you at least sometimes look down. When you look down, you're not watching where you're walking. When you're not watching where you're walking, you might walk into me--or into some poor fool so past his temper limit from other people hitting him that he finally snaps, steps to the side, grabs your hair, trips you, and grinds your face into the floor while screaming, "Watch where you're going, you fucking idiot!"

Not that I'd ever do that, of course. Not me.
Don't block entrances.
You might think this one would be obvious, but apparently it isn't. We all appreciate how very important it is that you and your completely disinterested spouse discuss Great Aunt Glinda's tumor surgery, but take the discussion to the side and stop blocking me from entering the rest room!

If you fail to heed this rule, you might prevent the wrong person from going to the bathroom, the kind of person who might snap, grab your hair, trip you, and--you know the rest.

That wouldn't be me, of course. Never me.

4 comments:

John Lambshead said...

Dear Mark
Funnily enough, in London we drive on the left (mostly) but walk on the right.
Bloody tourists will emerge from their hotels in the rush hour and behave like, well, tourists. They stand on the left on escalators. They stop in the entranceway on tube platforms gawping around for their train. They put cases on seats. They.................

John Has had to go and take his medication,

Michelle said...

Another thing in an airport that really ticks me off is people talking on their cell phones in a loud voice two feet from you while sitting in the waiting area. However, I really have never had the desire to throw them to the floor. I usually just send them the death glare. Your rules should be posted in every terminal corridor.

Mark said...

I appreciate the frustration. Obviously.

Mark said...

I don't think posting would help, alas. In each Admiral's Club, there's a "Quiet Room," in which you are not allowed to use your cell phone. I go there to work. If I need to use my cell phone, I get up and leave. Thursday, a man spoke loudly for ten minutes on his cell phone while staring directly at that sign in the Quiet Room. I'm sure he assumed the rules did not apply to him.

Labels

Blog Archive