Saturday, March 7, 2009

A sign of age

My Kindle 2 was waiting for me when I arrived home late last night. I haven't done much more than set it up and browse a few pages of its instructions, but I can already see that it's an improvement over the original. It changes pages faster than the first one did--though still slower than I'd like--and it feels a bit sturdier than its predecessor. I find it annoying that Amazon made the case an accessory you have to buy, but whatever; I can deal with that. I expect to use this one more than the first.

As I was playing with it, however, I was also choosing the next book I was going to read. I am, as anyone who's looked at pictures of my office will know, always awash in books, and I love having them all around me. I was picking up and examining a few hardcovers, the Kindle on the desk in front of me, when it really struck me just how much more I like books, real books, the physical objects, than reading them on the Kindle--or any other device. The Kindle is a great travel aid and a nice way to save weight, so I recommend it to frequent travelers, but I can't help but feel that a book inside the Kindle just isn't as magically powerful as a book sitting on a shelf.

I expect this is a sign of my age, a generational issue that will one day fade into obscurity, but if I'm alive to see that day I expect to mark it in sadness--and to keep supporting whatever publishers, large or small, who produce actual books.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Make sure you download the Kindle iPhone app. It syncs with your Kindle to keep you on the same page, so you can keep reading even when you only have your phone available.

Mark said...

Based on the first user comment, until I have only one Kindle registered on my account, I better not download it. At some point, though, I will. Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous said...

Can someone explain to me the benefit of having a kindle over reading an ebook on my phone?

I've been looking at ereaders and kindof want a kindle (we're on to 3 now and with built in advertising, I think, whee!) but aside from advertising & wanting to feel close to a friend who showed me his once (as show&tell when I mentioned to him that my mom had asked me about the kindle and whether the tech would be too complicated for her)... and mayyyybe battery life? I'm not sure the benefit really?

Thanks!

Tiggerz (a few years late on this thread) but hey, you had a tag that said kindle...

Mark said...

Many feel the Kindle's display technology is easier on the eye than your phone's. Not all agree, of course.

Labels

Blog Archive