Saturday, March 7, 2009

Mixed repeat

Tonight featured two repetitions that yielded very mixed results.

The first was a trip to the lovely Carolina Theatre in Durham to attend The Art of Bellydance by the Bellydance Superstars, a group I've seen once before. Last time, I enjoyed the show but didn't find it amazing. Tonight, the performance reached another level. With a few exceptions, the dances were wonderful to watch, inventive, and, as I think bellydance should be, amazingly sexy. I particularly fell for the Tribal Fusion dancers, whose style and wonderful movements kept my attention every second they were on stage. I definitely recommend this show should it come to your area.

After the performance ended, we went to eat from the late-night menu at Watts Grocery, a place at which I've had several fine meals. Alas, if our food tonight is any indication of the late-night quality here, you should steer clear of it. The sliders were overcooked and their buns too sweet. The pimiento cheese sandwich was carbonized. The fries were soaked and limp. I could only imagine the third-string chef, bored out of his or her gourd in the kitchen, on the phone with a friend as the grill and the fryer slowly ruined our dishes. It's a shame, but I'll need to hear a few good reviews of the food after ten o'clock here before I'll go back for a late-night snack.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive