Saturday, October 4, 2008

On the road again: Austin, day 5


You have to love an airport in which almost all of the merchants are locals. The bookstore at Austin’s Bergstrom Airport is The Book People. Among the food offerings are local ‘que from The Salt Lick and fabulous ice cream from Amy’s. Both were part of my lunch today, though I was quite controlled (for me): just two meats on the BBQ plate, no sides (though I did eat half of my bread), and only a Tiny (an Amy’s official size) cup of delicious oatmeal cream ice cream. I quite like this airport.

The ice cream was so good, in fact, that Jennie could not contain her observation that Amy’s would pack three quarts as a carry-on item for the plane. A few minutes and the work of an industrious server later, I left carrying a cardboard box with a makeshift but very serviceable packing tape handle. Inside the box was a cooler, and inside the cooler were bags of freezer stuff, a quart of Dark Chocolate, a quart of Belgian Chocolate, and a quart of Mexican Vanilla. Chinese & Chinese just got yummier.

I didn’t watch the debate last night. I will probably view it via DVR, alone late at night, when getting angry and bitching at the screen won’t annoy so many folks. I know a lot of folks who are energized by Sarah Palin’s presence on the McCain ticket. They like that she shares their values. Fine. She doesn’t share my values. Fine. What matters more than values, though, is the most important question about any candidate for vice president: Should something happen to the President, is she ready to govern as President?

I cannot imagine and certainly have not heard any convincing argument that Palin is.

On less weighty matters, I’m deeply frustrated with my slow progress on Overthrowing Heaven, but it is coming along. The ending twenty percent or so is rather tricky, so I’m having to work quite hard to make sure that all the little pieces fit right. I think it’s going to be good, but I suppose I won’t ever really know. So it goes with writing, a mug’s game if there ever was one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmm, amy's... i have fond memories of them. must go down and visit my friend in round rock soon. :)

-lisa

Mark said...

I can now tell you that the ice cream also travels very well in their coolers.

Labels

Blog Archive