Sunday, September 14, 2008

Roxy Rocket for the win!

Roxy Rocket was on fire tonight! She started as jammer ten times, and in the first nine she became the lead jammer and scored a ton of points. In her last attempt, the Tucson Saddletramps' jammer bested her, but it was a hell of a run.

Oh, yeah, I forgot: You probably don't follow the Carolina Rollergirls, Raleigh's own Women's Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA; read: roller derby) team. I have to confess I don't really follow them, either, but inspired by a successful first visit many months ago and a clutch of ticket vouchers as a present from my friends Eric and Anna Bess, a group of us went to see them tonight.

We had a blast. We ate nothing but health food--soda, beer, nachos, hot dogs, and funnel cake--and we watched Carolina smash Tucson. These women work hard, skate hard, hit hard, and seem to love what they're doing--and they must, because they sure can't be making much, if any, money at it.

I will pay for this tomorrow, because I have so much to do before I leave town that I will sleep somewhere between zero and a little tonight, but I'm still glad I went.

If you have a roller derby team in your area, or if you're in this area and can get to a Carolina Rollergirls game, check it out.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive