Wednesday, August 6, 2008

On the road again: Denvention, day 2 - Eight Ball and Squid

The con began in earnest today, but I didn't see much of it. After eight and a half hours of sleep, I got up, worked, exercised, worked, showered, worked, and finally went to the con to register. The registration lines were generally long, but the one for people with last names in my part of the alphabet was non-existent, so I waltzed up and registered immediately.

After some time wandering this part of Denver, I worked more, then went to the con's opening ceremonies and also did a quick tour of the art show.

Multiple folks have remarked that it must be nice to be a celebrity as a writer. I suppose being a celebrity might be nice, though it might also suck, but it doesn't matter, because I'm definitely not one. Other than old friends, two people recognized my name badge today. The first, whose badge read "Eight Ball," is a Barfly (someone who spends a lot of time on Baen's Bar) and knew me from there, though he hadn't read any of my books. The second, whose badge read "Squid," actually wanted me to sign a book, though he didn't have it with him. (I promised to find him at the art show, where he's volunteering, and sign the book later. I love it when people want me to autograph their books.) That's the extent of my celebrity-hood.

By the way, I am not in any way trying to make fun of these men. Both seemed nice, both were polite and friendly, and I'd talk to either one again any time. You just have to admit that the fact that the only two fans who recognized my name were called Eight Ball and Squid is just too good to write about.

Tonight's dinner was at Luca D'Italia, and unlike last night's meal this one justified its cost. Each dish in the five-course tasting menu was yummy, and all were above average. If you're in the Denver area, I recommend it.

I have a book to write, so to it I now go.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive