Saturday, July 26, 2008

Something very odd

happened last night: I wrote the first chapter of Children No More, the next Jon and Lobo book. I then resumed writing Overthrowing Heaven.

While waiting for the show to begin last night, standing alone (Sarah was with some friends), I was, as is often the case, thinking about writing. Somehow my thoughts wandered to the next book, and all of a sudden the beginning popped into my head. I've known for a long time now that Children No More was going to be a very different sort of book from the others, harsher in many ways than I've ever been in print, and for some reason the first chapter appeared to me. So, rather than risk losing it, I set up the directory structure for the novel and wrote that chapter.

Weird, but kinda cool.

4 comments:

Lisa Shearin said...

The same thing happens to me, except I only get the first few pages, not the entire chapter. The first pages for what will be the sixth book in my series (if my publisher buys that many) came to me about a year ago. Like you said, it's most odd.

Mark said...

I probably should note that this is a very short first chapter indeed, though exactly the one I needed. I just hadn't realized yet that I needed it.

Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

In the bookstore yesterday, I swore I saw a copy of "Overthrowing Heaven" on the shelves.

But, alas, it was not. Maybe a "afterimage" of "Slanted Jack" which was on a different shelf!

Mark said...

I hope to make that mirage a reality in about ten months!

Labels

Blog Archive