Monday, June 23, 2008

The cruelest economy

I'm way past blue tonight and heading down. What's eating me is time, or more accurately the cruel truth about time: what you give to one person or thing is gone and never available to another.

When I'm writing, I'm not with the kids. When I'm with the kids, I'm not fixing the disaster area that is my office. When I work on my office, I'm not spending time with any of the adults I care for. When I'm with one of them, I'm not with the others.

I'm always failing more people and causes than I'm treating well.

I bet I could have left out the opening sentence and you'd still have figured out that I wasn't at my happiest.

One of the few great things about writing at this hour is that it greatly lowers my percentage of failure, because most people are asleep. As Monty Python once sang, "Always look on the bright side of life."

Ah, well. One of my good traits is that I rarely let my mood affect my productivity. Another is that once I focus on a task, the world tends to fade away. So, I'll turn now to Overthrowing Heaven and hope both aspects of my personality hold true tonight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would it help to know that I liked One Jump Ahead a lot, even though military SF generally leaves me cold?

I hope your spirits improve and the writing goes well.

Mark said...

Sure, praise always helps. I'm glad you liked it, and I hope you like Slanted Jack even more.

Morning brought a contemplative mood and a lot to consider, but overall my spirits are up a bit.

Despite my mood, last night's writing session was good and quite productive.

I hope you're well.

Anonymous said...

I'm exhausted and doing too much, as usual, but managing. I'm finding blogging an interesting experience.

Is there a handy bibliography of any short fiction featuring Jon & Lobo? I'm looking forward to Slanted Jack but in the meantime wouldn't mind picking up anything else relevant.

Mark said...

I'm sorry you're exhausted but glad you're otherwise doing okay.

As of this moment, I don't have such a list, but when I finish writing today's blog entry, there will be [grin].

Labels

Blog Archive