Thursday, May 22, 2008

One Jump Ahead won the 2008 Compton Crook Award for best first novel!

Wow, am I tickled. The kind folks of the Baltimore Science Fiction Society (BSFS) present this award, which is for the best first SF or fantasy novel of the previous year. (You can read their rules here, and you can see the list of all past winners here.) I felt very lucky to be in the company of the other four nominees:

The Blade Itself, Joe Abercrombie (Pyr)
The Outback Stars, Sandra McDonald (Tor)
The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss (DAW)
Magic Lost, Trouble Found, Lisa Shearin (Ace)

and I'm frankly quite surprised--as well as very happy--that One Jump Ahead won.

As I've mentioned before, I've attended almost all of the Balticons since my first one in 1978. I've attended the masquerade every year I was here, and before each costume contest began I've watched the con give the award to some lucky writer. (This year, they're presenting it at the Friday night opening ceremonies.) Each time I saw this ceremony, I thought, "Wouldn't it be cool to win that someday?"

Now, I know the answer: Yup, it's cool.

Thanks, BSFS. I really appreciate it. Thanks also Joe Abercrombie, Sandra McDonald,
Patrick Rothfuss, and Lisa Shearin, for letting me stand in your company. I'm honored.

4 comments:

Lisa Shearin said...

Congratulations, Mark! I wish I could be in Baltimore this weekend to congratulate you in person. Enjoy your win -- you deserve it!

All best,
Lisa

Mark said...

Thanks for the kind words. I'm sorry you won't be here so we could meet in person.

Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

FYI, John Scalzi offers congrats at his blog and mentions (and has a picture of) the ARC of "Slanted Jack".

So...hopefully that will bring in a pile of new readers!

Mark said...

Thanks, Fred. I had seen that mention earlier and just posted a response to it; what timing.

I share your hope. I would love to see Slanted Jack increase my readership--and so would my publisher and the sales team!

Labels

Blog Archive