Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My ideal notebook PC

In the course of a conversation at work today with Bill and Mark, I described my current (as of about 5:00 p.m. Eastern time) ideal notebook PC:

* Start with a MacBook Air. Keep its size and weight and display.

* Put in a 256GB solid-state "disk" that delivers the far faster (than current SSD drives have) sequential read and write speeds that Intel's been claiming its upcoming offerings will achieve

* Replace the graphics with something on the order of an NVIDIA 8800, i.e., something that can easily drive a 30-inch monitor

* Make the monitor connection able to drive a dual-DVI, 30-inch monitor

* Dual-boot Leopard and Vista, plus have the newest Fusion VM software ready to go

* 8GB of RAM

* Double the camera's quality, both as a Webcam and as a still camera

* Make the Time Machine/Time Capsule backup work for both the Leopard and Vista partitions

That's all I want. It's not much, not really. After all, I can describe it, so Apple should be able to build it.

For that matter, I'd take the same product from Dell or any other company, provided it's at least as sleek and attractive and, of course, has all the above features.

If you've ever wondered how much of a geek I was, the fact that I keep in my head and update often the specs of my ideal notebook should help you answer that question.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://xkcd.com/212/

Mark said...

So very true.

Labels

Blog Archive