Saturday, May 3, 2008

On the road again: Florida, day 1

The morning came entirely too early, so after a rushed two-mile walk and shower, I headed to the airport. An old colleague ended up in the seat next to me, so we passed the flight in catching up--which though pleasant meant I did not work.

I'm heading homeward--same city, different houses--because it's my mom's 75th birthday and because she's on chemotherapy for lymphoma. I was already planning to come for the first reason; the second only emphasized the importance of the trip. Chemo is tough on everyone, and pretty much everyone loses his/her hair in the early weeks of the treatment. My mother is no exception to either facet of the therapy. Though the battle is very hard, Mom does seem to be licking both the cancer and the many side effects and complications. If she'll keep her faith in herself, I truly believe she can beat this, and so, too, do the doctors. Go, Mom!

My brother and sister-in-law and their two kids are putting me up. They've completely redone big parts of the house from when I was last here, and it's quite lovely.

For me, it's the middle of the night and so, as usual, a partially written book awaits today's efforts. I shall go to it.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive