Saturday, March 1, 2008

TED @Aspen, Day 5 - finis

I should first note that my day count in these entries is, by TED's standards, off by one, because I counted my travel day as part of the conference.

Today was another remarkable day of sessions. The Aspen team did a very funny and lovely wrap-up, and all the presentations made me think. The biggest surprise is that I was quite impressed by Al Gore. If he had campaigned with the intelligence and passion that permeated his session, I would not only have voted for him, as I did, I would have donated time and money to help--as I did not. He threw down a gauntlet of challenge for all of us, and everything he said made sense. Amazing.

What struck me as we were all leaving the Aspen Institute meeting building for the last time (at least for this year) and people were hugging all around me was my huge capacity for being alone in a crowd. When someone introduced himself or herself to me at the conference, I always ended up in interesting and animated conversations. I never, however, made that initial contact. I shrank from the task. I turned shy. Maybe it's the natural state of a writer, or perhaps it's a manifestation of my self image; I don't know. I do know that I do a terrible job of social networking in these circumstances, and I suspect the loss is largely mine.

The rest of the day is ours, so I will write, work, and perhaps even nap; I would love to get some more sleep. In the very early morning, we begin the welcome journey home, where I will be glad to be.

If I can get into TED 2009, I will be back. My head and heart are full, and that is a good thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really, though, what good could possibly come of talking to strangers?

Mark said...

Spoken like a true introvert.

Labels

Blog Archive