Thursday, December 20, 2007

Dropping stitches

Between my company being crazy busy, the demands of the holidays, and my daily work on Overthrowing Heaven, I'm not sleeping a lot these days. I'm doing fine on the jobs, but I'm making a lot of errors in personal areas. Tonight I made a doozie: I forgot to invite Dave and Jo to our annual tree-trimming party. I've made similar email list errors recently as well. I hate screwing up, and I really hate it when my friends pay for my errors.

The party itself was as it should be: low-key but fun. Because we shopped late, this year's tree is smaller than usual, but it has a good shape, is well over seven feet tall, and looks great decorated. We hung ornaments and lights on it; ate spaghetti, garlic bread, salad, and apple cake; chatted about this and that; and generally had a nice time.

My plotting work on Overthrowing Heaven continues. I'm grooving on the book, because it's coming together (albeit slower than I would like). I expect to be typing up an outline by January and writing for real before that month is out. I look forward to being at the stage of staring at a blank screen until drops of blood appear on my forehead.

2 comments:

Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

You forgot to invite David Drake? Oh my...will he "Tuckerize" you in an upcoming story?

Mark said...

Yes, I did, and I have since apologized a few times. The wall-mounted light near where we put the tree cuts his head every year, and now it is pining for his blood. To avoid it, he had considered wearing a baseball cap backward, a sight I regret not seeing.

As for him Tuckerizing me, I sincerely hope not!

Labels

Blog Archive