Monday, August 28, 2017

My first colonoscopy


proved to be an interesting experience on several fronts.  I did it today, quite a few years later than the medical establishment recommends but for the reason they suggest it:  to make sure I have no problems in that part of my body.

I don't.  I won't go into the medical details, because they're not interesting, but all is well.

What surprised me the most was how easy it all was.  I was able to take pills, rather than the sickly sweet liquid, for the emptying part of the program, and it went easily.  I've had worse reactions to really rich meals--or donuts, which I like but which don't like me.  Similarly, going 36 hours on almost no calories--I had some jello and a little bit of warm broth--was no problem, but I'm fortunate there because I used to fast frequently and am still good at it.

The only part that sucked was not getting much sleep, but I'm also familiar with doing that, so, again, it was no challenge.

The most interesting part of the day was my conversation with the nurse who was putting in the IV for the anesthesia to come.  When I mentioned that I'd left the waiting room before my ride arrived, she said that, yes, they'd tell my ride, because "we don't want them to think you've been Raptured."

Now, I am fine with religious beliefs of all sort, but that struck me as an odd comment for a workspace.

I don't want to mock anyone's faith, so please take what follows as being more about the setting than about the underlying beliefs.

We had been discussing SF and fantasy books, and she then said that she liked the Game of Thrones books but, "That George R.R. Martin is a liberal, and I hate 'em all.  Just hate 'em."

At this point, on the bed in the little robe, her hands probing my left arm for the best vein to use, I tried to figure out how to look like a conservative.  This, of course, is a losing proposition, so I opted instead to stay still and say nothing.

She then continued.  "What he does get right in those books is that we are all despicable, dirty, awful, out-for-ourselves people, every single one of us.  Yep, we are all despicable--and that's why we need Jesus to save us."  I get the concept that we are flawed sinners, because everyone I know is flawed, but the anger and venom with which she made this comment was a little scary.  I'd like to think that whether you have turned your life to Christ or not, you're going to work on being better--not perfect, because no one is, but better.  I don't like the idea of accepting that we're all just despicable.

On the other hand, she was working the IV into my arm right about then, so I decided to be weak and not argue at all.  I stayed quiet, she put in the IV, and all was fine.

When it's time to do this procedure again, I can hope that the whole affair will both go as well as this time and provide such colorful prep-room dialog.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was told the liquid was easier than pills. It was awful, and I got ill, which, if I would have gotten REALLY ill, would have meant rescheduling. Thankfully, I didn't have to. I am due for another. Sigh. But I was lucky. ten years between tests due to good results.

Were you fasting for a particular reason? Just curious. I know certain religions require fasting days, and some dietary plans as well.

Glad that your results were great!

Mark said...

I'm sorry you got sick. That sucks. I found the pills incredibly easy, but your mileage may vary.

I used to fast a great deal during a time in my life when I was actively seeking a religious faith. I still sometimes go 24 hours between calories just because I think it's an interesting way to step away from aspects of normal life.

Labels

Blog Archive