Saturday, August 13, 2016

A Hologram for the King


With this weekend's lackluster openings not enough of a temptation to drag me from my house the night before I begin a two-week trip, tonight's movie was the Blu-ray pressing of this recent film.  I'd missed it in the theaters and had wanted to see it, so it was an easy choice.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, primarily because at almost no point was I sure what was going to happen next.  The plot moved in a relatively reasonable fashion, but it contained enough oddities and grace notes to make the ride worthwhile.

I said "relatively reasonable" because a great many of Tom Hanks' actions in this one would probably have gotten him kicked out of Saudi Arabia or even killed.  As with most movies these days, in this one at multiple occasions you had to suspend your reality filters and go along with it, or you would break your suspension of disbelief beyond repair.

If you haven't seen the movie, I don't want to tell you the plot, and I encourage you not to check it in advance.  Just turn on the movie and let it wash over you.  It's worth the time.



No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive