Friday, March 25, 2016

Hugo nominations are drawing to a close


The nomination period for the Hugo awards ends this Thursday night, March 31.  You can see the details and nominate works here.

A lot of controversy has surrounded the Hugo awards in the last few years, so it might be tempting to walk away from it all, but I won't.  I think that the more fans who nominate and then vote for the Hugo awards, the better.

So, if you're eligible to nominate works, please do.  If you don't, then don't complain about the works on the ballot or the fact that your favorite writers' works never win awards.




P.S. Somewhat to my surprise, each year quite a few fans ask why none of my works has won a Hugo.  The answer is simple:  none of has inspired enough people to get them to nominate one of our works on an award ballot.  When you consider that a hundred or two nominations will land most works on most ballots, that statement sounds particularly sad, but it's the truth.  It is also equally true of many, many writers with far larger sales than mine.  We all should write because we must, not to win awards.




5 comments:

Mark P said...

From what I've read on the sites of Larry Correia and others it sounds entirely political. Your perceived political position seems to determine who does or doesn't get an award rather than talent.

Seems rather sad. I can't see even Heinlen winning an award if he were still around and at his peak.

Dave Drale said...

Dear Mark,

I haven't seen mention of a flap this year as there's been for the past several. Have things settled down?

All best,
Dave

Mark said...

Mark P, I don't think it's that simple. The whole situation, though, saddens me.

Dave, I think there's still a big flap, just as not big a flap as last year's.

Andy Finkel said...

I wonder if the time of year that a book comes out also makes a difference ? Just a thought, but if its anything like the Oscars, it could be a significant factor.

Mark said...

Andy, I've never studied that area, but it certainly seems possible. In the end, though, getting on a ballot just requires that one to two hundred people care enough to nominate a work.

Labels

Blog Archive