Friday, May 17, 2013

Go see A Walk In the Woods while you can


I first saw this Lee Blessing play on Broadway many years ago, with the original actors, Robert Prosky and Sam Waterston.  I quite enjoyed it then.  I went to a local production earlier tonight for one reason:  my friend, Eric, is one of the two actors.  I was concerned about whether the play, which focuses on two nuclear disarmament negotiators, would feel dated.  I also worried about how well the actors would stand up to the difficult and very demanding roles; after all, the play is basically two hours of talking.

I'm happy to report that my worries were unnecessary.  The play holds up beautifully and touches on many concerns that will stay with us for as long as humans exist.  It's also beautifully written and frequently very funny.  The two leads, Eric Hale and J Chachula, did very well. 

I'm quite happy I went, and I encourage you to do the same--while you can.

Here's the problem:  Only two shows remain.  One is Saturday, May 18 at 8:00 p.m., and the other is the next day at 3:00 p.m.  You can get more information here, or you can just show up at Burning Coal Theatre Company before the start time.  The tickets are all of ten bucks, less than you'd pay for a movie and far less than the thought-provoking entertainment is worth.

Yes, Eric is a friend, and, yes, I like to support my friends.  I'm not recommending this play for those reasons, though; I'm recommending it because I had a great time watching it, and I think you will, too.


No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive